Friday, July 20, 2012

The "mom prom" dress

It is finally time to start on my friend Heather's "mom prom dress". Heather is our local MOPS (Mother's of Preschoolers) representative and she is going to their conference soon. New this year at the conference is the so-called "mom prom" with featured artist Plumb.

Since Heather helped me set up my blogs and has generally been a wonderful friend I want to make sure she goes in appropriate style.Together we came up with  a Worth inspired bodice and dress with a few "steam-punk" twits, including a miniature top hat and time permitting lace gloves.

I found a gorgeous black flocked taffeta,
black flocked taffeta
dug through my stash of fabrics for velvets, taffetas
deep plum taffeta
and laces to combine for the bodice.  I am going to use two patterns from Laughing moon Mercantile with some modifications: their five gored skirt and matching bodice pattern.



Today I did a first fitting and will begin constructing the skirt and bodice soon. We decided to make the sleeves out of a plain black satin, rather than the flocked taffeta and I am going to use some of the techniques I learned at  Tutu.om's tutu school to modify the front of the bodice. It will have some of the plum colored taffeta, some black velvet piping and a dark green flocked taffeta to create longer lines. The skirt will be made of the black flocked taffeta with a satin facing at the hem.
To finish off the ensemble, Heather will have a little top hat with peacock feathers and peacock colored accents (these colors and fabrics are mirrored in the bodice).
I need to get on to that now and will post photographs soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment