Friday, October 5, 2012

What else is new?

I haven't posted for a while but I have been sewing a few things. I have been fortunate to have had a lot of (local) business lately both alterations and custom work.
African batik fabric, cut to be sewn into skirt
The custom work has been fun because I got to work with some gorgeous African Batiks. I made two skirts. One (which I did not photograph, sorry) required a careful matching of the intricate pattern. It turned out very well and was definetly not an "off the rack" item. The other skirt needed the "right" pattern to display the beautiful colors and unique patterns of the fabric. Together the cutomer and I choose a tiered skirt with a yoke waist and ruffled lower edge.  The skirt was more than a full circle which allowed us to show off the fabric's beauty but did not make a skirt that was so large to overwhelm the petite wearer.
Finished skirt
Today, I was able to hand over the skirt to the customer and not only did it fit perfectly, it looked stunning, so I was very happy with the result.
My next major project will be to start building tutus for my (rental) business. I have three dancer's who have volunteered to be models. Yesterday and today I drew new basque patterns using the techniques I learned at tutu school and I made some adjustments to the panty patterns I had made to get a better fit. I'll keep you posted about this process as I go along.

No comments:

Post a Comment